Monday 7 March 2022

What is Literature? How literature Shape me.

 


What is Literature?


According to Merriam Webster dictionary literature is ; 


"writings in prose or verse especially : writings having excellence of form or expression and expressing ideas of permanent or universal interest literature stands as related to man as science stands to nature."

— J. H. Newman( Merriam Webster).



A body of written works related by subject-matter (e.g. the literature of computing), by language or place of origin (e.g. Russian literature), or by prevailing cultural standards of merit. In this last sense, ‘literature’ is taken to include oral, dramatic, and broadcast compositions that may not have been published in written form but which have been (or deserve to be) preserved. Since the 19th century, the broader sense of literature as a totality of written or printed works has given way to more exclusive definitions based on criteria of imaginative, creative, or artistic value, usually related to a work's absence of factual or practical reference (see autotelic). Even more restrictive has been the academic concentration upon poetry, drama, and fiction. Until the mid-20th century, many kinds of non-fictional writing—in philosophy, history, biography, criticism, topography, science, and politics—were counted as literature; implicit in this broader usage is a definition of literature as that body of works which—for whatever reason—deserves to be preserved as part of the current reproduction of meanings within a given culture (unlike yesterday's newspaper, which belongs in the disposable category of ephemera). (Oxford)



"Literature is mirror of society"


Many people say that literature is the mirror of society. I also said that literature is the mirror of society.  When we read literature, any book, novel, play, poem, etc., we realize that the same thing happened with us or the same things happened around us. Literature reflects everything that happens in society or in the world. 


What is my definition of literature. What is literature according to me.?


"Literature is like a Mountain"



Yes According to me literature is like a mountain. When we see mountain which things comes first in our mind is that its a very huge and it's very difficult to reach at the top of mountain right. We face many difficulties when we climb the mountain. Same thing happens in literature. Literature is very huge including drama, novels, short stories, poems, essays etc. When we connect with literature we go more and more deep into the  literature.  When you  try to reach the top of the mountain we face many difficulties like many stones that destroy our path and many times our legs slip down. 


The process of reaching the mountain is very hard. It needs a lot of focus, confidence. Same thing in literature. It's very huge. When we read literature we connect dots with what happened in the past and what is happening in the present time. When we read any books we do not read only what writers want to say to us, but we become critics when we read books. We apply many theories and we go beyond the writer's vision. Literature is very huge and it's difficult to reach the high vision to read literature. If we want to reach this high vision of reading literature we come to know about all theories and we are able to connect dots with present time. So I would like to say that "Literature is like a mountain". To reach the top of the mountain you must focus on your goal, your top priority is to only one reach the mountain and be confident. To develop high vision to read literature you must know about all theories and you have to be able to connect dots, connect literature with present time. 



How Literature Shape me?


Literature Shape myself. Literature changed my vision, my perspective to look at anything. When I'm in my B.A. I don't know how to connect dots. I just simply read text for the purpose of the exam. But when I came to the Department of English to do Master studies. I have learned lots of things. I have e developed myself. 


Literature changed my vision to read text 


Yes, Literature changed my vision to read any text. First I  read text only for the purpose of an exam. But now literature has changed my vision. When we read text we applied many theories like feminist theories,  Marxist theories, ecocriticism etc. I have to applied all this theories in the text wich I have read. So literature changed myself as well as my vision. 


Literature changed my vision to watch a film.



I watched movies only for entertainment. But when I  was came in this dept I have improved myself.  As a student of literature we must be watched a movies and connect with text. When any one asked me about how was this movie firs I  said that this hero in this movie or this heroine wearing this dress etc.. but when literature changed my vision. Now if anyone asked me how was this film and my answer is that the movie focuses on social,  political or religious issues in our society.  Hero fights against corruption. What is the education system etc.. we evaluate the whole movie that what is the concept of movie.  So literature changed my vision to watch films.


Must toughest this is willingness.  Yes we will be  always ready to face any situation. Many time we not showing our willingness to do things we gave excuses to escape any  situations. Your willingness to do things leads you towards your success. 




No comments:

Post a Comment